As one of the requirements to receive or renew a notary public commission, each applicant must satisfactorily pass a proctored closed book written examination prescribed by the California Secretary of State.
First Step to becoming a Notary Public after completing a Course of Study
is to register with CPS for the State Exam.
Check the CPS Exam Schedule in your area.
What to take to the State Exam:
- Photo Identification
- Driver License, Passport, etc.
- Current or Issued within five years
- Notary Public Application
- Proof of Completion Certificate
- 2"x2" color passport photo
- Two #2 pencils
- Separate $40 check or money order made payable to the Secretary of State
- If you need to retake the State Exam a check or money order made payable to the Secretary of State in the amount of $20
- and any paperwork from the Secretary of State and CPS.//