Updates and Answers

Do you have questions and need answers?

Keep up to date on the latest California Notary laws!

#1 in Customer Service Since 2005!

separation line. NEW

Let us be the connection between you, the notary, and the California Secretary of State.

Our Blog offers frequently asked questions, answers, and updates from the California Secretary of State.

In addition, we give Best Practices Tips to help the notary.

Topics include steps to becoming a California notary, filing information, notary tools, and other requirements.

separation line. NEW

What do I do if my name has changed?

Friday, April 27, 2018

Comments: 0

Steps to changing your commission name.

The Secretary of State is very interested in the notaries current status.

This question is one that seems to mystify many notaries since it is not something we do very often. However, the Secretary of State is particular about making sure people keep current with changes to their notary commissions.

Although there is not a specific time that you must notify the SOS that your name has changed, you must inform them.

Once you have informed them and they have updated your commission, you have 30 days to complete the filing with the county clerk or a $500 penalty will be assessed.

The following is from the Secretary of State website:

  • To change your name on our records and your notary public commission, you will need to complete a Name Change Application. Once approved, you will be issued an amended commission that reflects your new name. Next, you will need to file a new oath of office and an amendment to your bond with the county clerk within 30 days from the date the amended commission was issued in order for the name change to take affect. Within 30 days of the filing, you must obtain a new seal that reflects the new name. Once the amended oath and bond are filed, you may no longer use the commission, including the stamp, that was issued in your previous name. If you fail to file your amended oath and bond within the 30-day time limit, the name change will become void and your commission will revert back to the previous name and you will be required to submit another name change application. (California Government Code sections 8213 and 8213.6.)

Comments RSS feed for comments on this page

There are no comments yet. Be the first to add a comment by using the form below.

separation line. NEW

"Hi, I got my test results this weekend. I got a 93. I was pleased. I sure feel better about what I do. Thanks again for your help. Good teacher--good grade! Take care." - C D